Friday, July 30, 2010

Once and For All

It happened again just this afternoon. I saw an acquaintance that is looking for an apartment to rent. We recognized each other as we both have Cursillo together. As I open the door, she saw my protruding belly. She commented then “May asawa ka na pala!” I quickly answer “Wala ako asawa, pero baby magkakaron na.” She then giggles as if that was funny. I get a lot of comments like that (and the same response too!). People assume that because I’m pregnant that I’m married. HELLOW?!! May asawa lang ba ang nabubuntis? I know Filipinos are conservative when it comes to things like this. So I can’t blame them when they jump to conclusions that I am already married. My mother said that I should just agree if they ask me if I’m married to avoid more questions but I firmly said “NO.” I’m not ashamed to admit that I got pregnant out of wedlock. SOMETIMES people have their own reason why they make the decisions they make. We decide our own choices and priorities in life. This is not the most ideal situation especially for my baby but I am not complaining. How can I? When everyday I wake up and feel him growing inside me I get this deep sense of gratitude. How blessed I am to be entrusted with this gift! I will love my son with all my heart that a marriage contract won’t matter for him to grow up a happy and normal child.


They say “Truth shall set us free.” I don’t want to live on a lie. I want to start this journey with a clean conscience and clear view of who I am. I don’t care about the gossip or the hearsay. I know the truth. One day when my son is big enough to understand I’ll explain it to him too. So once and for all, it’s out in the open. If it’s not too much to ask, can you just go and mind your own business?! (Taray! Lol.)

1 comment: