Sunday, September 22, 2013

To Pre-School or Not To Pre-School?

What's next in my three year old son? Schooling, I think. Although I am not 100% sold to the idea, I know sooner or later I would have to deal with it. Only I wish it would be later. Why would anyone want to go to school at age 3? In our times (dekada 80!), children don't have to go to school until they're seven. Nowadays, a lot of schools are offering early childhood education and they accept as young as two years old. And now I am pressured because every time people learned Riley is three, their next question is Nag-aaral na ba siya?

I am starting to ask around to fellow mommies. How early did they enroll their children? In what school? How much? I want to ask for their opinion because I am in doubt. I don't want Riley to go to school just because he is already 3. That's too young for me. I feel that he is not ready yet. But what if not enrolling him early on will result in more damage later in his school life? I mean we learn good stuff at school right? Like organization, sharing, independence. I want Riley to develop that as early as possible. Plus I think it would be good for him to be around other kids his age and work on his social skills. They say pre-school isn't really school - it's more of play time. And I don't want Riley to miss all the fun!

I am undecided and still weighing my options. But my main concern is: Riley should like love his teacher. Or it wouldn't work out. He must be comfortable with his future teacher and he/she should have tons of patience for a boy like Riley! My son has his own rules. Sometimes, he doesn't like to do things we tell him. But with a little persuasion, he can follow orders. He likes physical games. Like throwing things (is that even a game? lol) He loves helping out in chores too but he needs to be guided or he'll get frustrated. Another concern is the style of teaching method. Different strategy works in different children. I must find a school that will best cater to Riley's ability to learn. 

My mother instinct is telling me this: I don't want to force him into doing anything he doesn't like. So maybe I'll let him test the water first. See how he feels about school. If he won't like it this year, then there's always a next year! Pero pag 7 ka na at hindi ka pa rin ng school anak, papaluin na talaga kita! Hehe. Just kidding! 

painting with his playmates

No comments:

Post a Comment